While mass customization start-ups really are popping up all over the place, there still is rather little awareness about this new trend with the general public. 24 mass customization companies set out to change that! They have united in a great way to make August 6 "Mass Customization Friday" by all purchasing and running Facebook Ads with a "design your own" claim on that day.
The objective is to reach at least 8 Million impressions on Facebooks for the "design your own" trend. The core idea is "conversation not conversion" and to create some buzz and awareness for the customization trend.
Carmen Magar from Chorci USA describes her motivation to participate with er company in this project, "I think it's a great example of a collaboration, a "movement" if you may. Hopefully this will change the way people think about purchasing products and encourage them to co-create and actively look to have an input in the products they consume."
These are the "mass customization" companies participating -- many of these companies met on the MIT Smart Customization Seminar in May for the first time and started to cooperate!
- Blank Label- co-created dress shirts (style the collar, cuff, placket and really make it your own)
- chocri- co-created chocolate bars (pick your favorite chocolate base and mix in the toppings you love!)
- Spreadshirt- co-created t-shirts, sweaters and hoodies (add graphics or text and get it personalized for you)
- LaudiVidni- co-created handbags (for the woman that really knows style and is tired of the monotonous Coach and LV bags)
- Gemvara- co-created jewelry (one-of-a-kind gemstone jewelry with 16 different gem varieties and eight precious metal choices)
- Shoes of Prey- co-created women's shoes (style the heel (or no heel), tor, fabric, color andembellishments)
- Wagner Skis- co-created skis andsnowboards (uniquely suited to your style, strength, weight and mission profile)
- Gemkitty- co-created jewelry (customize semi-precious gemstone jewelry. Choose from seven necklace, five earring styles and hundreds of gemstones)
- Snaptotes- co-created totes (add photos to your bags to further cherish the memories)
- Element Bars- co-created nutrition bars (energy and protein bars with the ingredients you favor)
- YouBars-co-created protein bars, shakes, trail mix, cookies and cereal (mix the ingredients you love and need)
- Red Moon Pet Food-co-created pet food (for that particular pet with a special diet or just because your pet deserves more)
- Rooms By You-co-created bedding and soft goods (home décor customized on demand)
- Lindgolf-co-created golf clubs and bags (golf clubs for performance and looks)
- Artaic-co-created mosaics (build your own art by uploading the photos you love)
- Melboteri-co-created handbags (select the style, components, and color of each handbag)
- Indidenim-co-created jeans (jeans designed with your preferences in mind and made to measure)
- Kidlandia-co-created home decor and puzzles (from dozens of designs, your personalized creations make memorable puzzles, wall décor, and other unique, high-quality gifts)
- Maguba-co-created clogs and women's sandals (style your footwear however you want!)
- Personalwine-co-created wines (personalize award winning wines with your unique label)
- Proper Cloth-co-created luxury dress shirts (for the guy that loves Egyptian cashmere and is a luxury buyer)
- Design A Tea-co-created tea blends (blend the teas with the proper proportions you prefer and personalize the packaging)
- Selve-co-created women's shoes and boots (choose your style, color, suedes, leather and lining)
- Open Runway- co-created women's shoes (still to be launched)
I am curious to see how this is working and what buzz this generates --- at least it got me into blogging again after rather a long break.